Monday, December 7, 2009

Nickeled and Dimed

I LOVE the public schools here in my town. They are on top of things, involved in the community and concerned for the kids welfare. They organize workshops on internet safety and offer enrichment programs for the kids after school. The only thing that drives me BATTY is that it seems EVERY week there is a note coming home about can I send in a couple of bucks here, donate this, or volunteer for something. If my schedule allows it I love to volunteer. But since frick and frack are in preschool, it's hard for me to match my schedule to the times they need me. Of course, when the holidays start in October, then all the "donation" lists come home. Can I send some food to the G,I.'s, can I send NEW hats, gloves or scarfs for the people who cannot afford them. And this year at our new elementary school they have an angel tree up AND have asked for $2.00 for to buy clothing for the students in need AND to donate food to the shelter. This all came home on one letter. On top of all the other "little" things that have come home that they "need" . It seems everytime I open the take home folder it is something. Don't get me wrong these are all superior needs that as a community we should meet, but I am tired of being begged. I have a family here who needs things also. There needs to be a line drawn. A little break as we are gearing up for the holidays. When the school year started they already said there would be 5 fundraisers. 5. Ocho. But none of these things were included. Sigh. I sound so stingy, but geesh it seems EVERY week there is something. Summer is starting to look cheaper than the school year. I am afraid for what is going to happen when all 3 of mine are in school. I will have to dip into their college fund to afford PUBLIC school .

No comments: